- Prep time
- 20 minutes, plus 8 hours soaking PT0.33333333333333M
- Cook time
- 2–2½ hours PT2½H
- About 4 cups
These flavorful beans are great to have on hand for any occasion. If making ahead for meal planning, portion cooked and cooled beans into 16-ounce bags that lay flat and freeze until you're ready to enjoy.
- 2 cups dried black beans, rinsed and checked for stones
- Water to cover
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, small diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- ½ cup red bell pepper, small diced
- ½ cup green bell pepper, small diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, small diced
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon oregano, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups vegetable stock or water
- Salt, to taste
Place black beans in a storage container and cover with water. Place lid on container and soak beans 8 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
When ready to cook, heat a 4-quart sauce pot on medium-high heat. Add the oil and sauté the onion, garlic and peppers until caramelized, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, jalapeño, spices and bay leaf and sauté for 5 minutes.
Add the soaked black beans and vegetable stock or water, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook on low, partially covered for 2–2 ½ hours, or until the beans are tender. Remove bay leaf and season with salt.