- Prep time
- 25 minutes PT25M
- Cook time
- 8–10 minutes PT10M
- 2 servings
Enjoy this savory salad as an appetizer, or add grilled chicken to make it a filling and nutritious entrée.
- 4 cups spinach leaves, loosely packed
- ½ medium red onion, julienned
- 4 slices thick bacon, diced
- 1 tablespoon coarse grain Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 hard-boiled egg, chopped fine
Toss together spinach leaves and red onion in a large bowl, then set aside.
In a sauté pan over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp, stirring frequently. Remove pan from heat, then whisk in mustard, olive oil and vinegar.
Pour warm vinaigrette over spinach mixture and toss well to coat. Garnish with hard-boiled egg.
Techniques used in this recipe:
- dice: to cut ingredients into small cubes (1/4 inch for small, 1/3 inch for medium, 3/4 inch for large).
- julienne: vegetables, potatoes, or other items cut into strips; 1/8-inch square x 1 to 2 inches is standard. Fine julienne is 1/16-inch square.
- sauté: a cooking method in which items are cooked quickly in a small amount of fat in a pan on the range top.