- Prep time
- 5 minutes PT5M
- Cook time
- 20 minutes PT20M
- 4-6 servings
Caramelized onions and chicken stock add deep flavor to this simple soup without overwhelming the delicate carrots. Serve chilled or at room temperature for a great springtime starter.
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 32 ounces organic chicken stock
- 2 bunches organic baby carrots, medium dice
- 1 teaspoon organic ground ginger
- ½ cup organic cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup organic yogurt (optional)
Preheat a medium size pot over medium heat.
Slice onions radially as thin as possible. Cook onions in olive oil stirring frequently until they begin to caramelize, 5-8 minutes. When onions start to brown and smell sweet, add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
Turn down the heat and add carrots and ginger. Allow to simmer for 12-15 minutes, until the carrots are cooked through.
With an immersion blender, puree soup while slowly adding the cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper and garnish with a dollop of yogurt.
Techniques used in this recipe:
- puree: to process food (by mashing, straining, or chopping it very fine) in order to make it a smooth paste. Also, a product produced using this technique.
Livestock that is raised unconfined.